What is Camp Victory?
Camp Victory Texas, Inc. is the non-profit organization founded to make a genuine difference in young survivors’ lives. Thousands of girls are sexually abused every year in the United States. It is, unfortunately, all around us and profoundly changes the lives of those girls and future-women and their loved and loving ones. The goal is unique: create a safe environment in the form of a three-day camp where survivors can play and sing, know that they are neither alone nor responsible for what happened to them, and to develop self-affirming behavior along with appropriate and effective social coping skills.
The Heart of Camp Victory
At the heart of Camp Victory are dedicated volunteers. Your efforts help educate the community about the issues of child sexual abuse. Training is provided yearly to all adult volunteers. Adults are carefully screened, including a thorough background security check. At Camp Victory, adults are known as Big Buddies and girls are Little Buddies. Adults who successfully complete the training and participate in a camp are known as Mama Lions. Hear us ROAR!
We respect the privacy of all our participants and we honor confidentiality. We ask that you do the same.
Did you know:
- 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys is sexually abused before the age of 18.
- Children who are abused are over 50% more likely to be arrested as juveniles.
- An estimated 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse exist in America today.
- 95% of sexually abused children are abused by a family member or someone they know and trust.
- The median age for reported abuse is 9 years old.
- More than 20% of children are sexually abused before the age of 8.
- More than 75% of teenage prostitutes have been sexually abused.
- Nearly 50% of women in prison state that they were abused as children.
- Over 30% of victims never disclose the experience to ANYONE.*
*Individual sources for statistics may be found at www.cachouston.org